Monday, August 20, 2007

JOE'S EULOGY


As you might surmise, it is not easy to summarize or condense the life of another, especially when it's about my husband Joe. However, I do have a few thoughts that I'd like to share... As you will see, these ponderences are in no special order - just thoughts which crossed my mind one evening a couple of weeks ago... I wanted it to be spontaneous so here it goes...

From the moment he introduced himself to me with a simple "my name is Joe", I knew he was the one. My God, he was so handsome... such a gentleman... so thoughtful... so European... in other words, absolutely adorable!

My husband Joe had the most amazing eyes. I can only attempt to describe them as being quite unusual, as they were a wonderfully soft, warm, golden colour. There was a certain depth to his gaze - true windows to his soul. I loved looking into his eyes and I shall miss doing so...

I remember I was also enthralled by his curly, salt and pepper hair and I was also secretly jealous of his year round perfectly bronzed tan. As a matter of routine, each summer I'd rest one of my arms against his to check to see if I was winning the suntan war but to my dismay, I never did win that wager.

Aside from Joe's physical attributes, I was immediately smitten by his Austrian accent, European flair, wonderful sense of humor, his laugh, and his endearing determination to master the English language. As a result, throughout our marriage I was constantly quizzed on the correct pronunciation and meaning of various words that he came across in his daily life. I always admired his endless quest to increase his knowledge of vocabulary and it never ceased to amaze me at the more complex words that he did acquire and introduce into his working knowledge of English.

I guess the most important quality that attracted me to Joe was his sense of family. He was the third youngest of 12 children. After his father died, his mother tended to her family as best she could during what could best be described as very difficult times. Although it must have been quite a financial hardship, their family experienced the best that life had to offer namely, the love, care and support they received from each other, irregardless of what was going on in their war torn country of Austria. Joe liked to reminisce about a wonderfully simple but truly enriching family life which included hikes through forests, snatching apples from orchards, sliding down hilltops in the winter on pieces of scrap boards that were strewn about. He always emphasized that although they might not have had many material things, they lived their lives and appreciated the experiences that were put before them. Life was simpler, less complex then...

It's rather apropos that we are honouring Joe at dessert-time. As you can see, the desserts before you originated in Austria. Joe loved treats, especially cakes, cookies - actually, any treat! He spoke fondly of his favorite childhood memories, especially his being in the kitchen with his mother. He always loved to be near her but especially when she was baking or cooking, because then, he could test whatever was being prepared. Joe became a great cook. Our family definitely benefited from his love of food. He used to say his mother could make something from nothing. Joe inherited the knack as well. We always enjoyed his "creations", except when he was on bread making binges. Every night for about three weeks, I would come home to a real mess in the kitchen. Joe was "experimenting" once again trying to make the perfect loaf of bread - unfortunately, despite his best efforts, it never came to be. However, he made awesome spaghetti sauce, stuffed green peppers, goulash, dumplings, wiener schnitzel, potato salad to name but a few specialties. As an aside, Joe use to regularly call his sisters up to see if anyone was planning on making a strudel or perhaps, a plum cake. If one were planned, Joe would somehow manage to be invited over that very same day to sample the baked goods. His sisters used to spoil him terribly, always wrapping a extremely generous portion for him to take home... He really loved his treats...

Joe loved his family. Our children and I always knew that he would have done anything for us. From changing dirty diapers, boiling baby bottle nipples until they almost melted, to applying bandages, offering advice on boyfriends, girlfriends, relationships, hockey, politics, workplace issues, etc., he was always there for us. He was also a wonderful listener. Each of us could go on and on and he would somehow appear to be listening intently, even if it were hours later before we were finally through with our dissertations on various matters. We always felt better afterwards knowing that someone loved us enough to allow us to voice our fears, our dreams, our insecurities, our hopes and our dreams...

For each of us, Joe offered encouragement and assistance wherever he could. If I had a difficult day at work, or Eva needed someone to talk to, or Marc needed a bit of encouragement, Joe would always make himself available to us. He was absolutely incredible in his sincere efforts to take care of us. When I think of everything that he has given each of us, it is truly remarkable...

Our children, Eva and Marc have always been a source of great pride for us. Joe and I, as their parents freely invested our love and support to each of them, to ensure that they would grow up to be confident, independent, productive and loving adults. I believe we have achieved that end due in large part to Joe's parenting skills. Next July, Marc will be marrying Kat. Eva and Jay are engaged. Both of our children know what it is to be truly loved and cherished by their parents, and I am confident that they will bring much of what they have experienced and learned from our family and incorporate it into their married lives as well.

What will we miss? Many things... the coloured Easter eggs that Joe used to prepare each Easter, the special Christmas, Easter and Thanksgiving breakfasts and dinners... Valentines, Halloween, birthdays... Fresh pots of coffee each morning... Joe waiting for me parked nearby to my workplace because it was too cold outside or too late or just because... Someone who would always listen and console you if needed... Someone to snuggle with, to kiss and hug... Someone to stroll along with by a lake or park... Someone to share an ice cream sundae with... Someone who loved you, no matter what...

That was my Joe, that was Eva and Marc's father. A wonderful, warm, gentle and loving husband and father. The gifts that he so lovingly bestowed upon us for all those years will never be forgotten for they are intertwined in our hearts and memories forever. 07/13/05

No comments: